Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Some are Gold.


I think back to the decision I made not so long ago to go to a little Christian college over 5 hours away from home. I hardly knew anyone and I was not used to being so far from my family. It was without a doubt the boldest decision I have made in my life (so far) and ironically, one of the most worthwhile.

I think back to the couple of weeks in Birmingham. I was very fortunate to meet someone that I could call a friend within a half-hour of my parents unloading my stuff and heading for home. I think back to those terrifying days of wondering if I was going to have to eat every meal alone, or spend every night in my single dorm room. Those were some dark days. However, it didn't last for long, soon I was going through rush and meeting people that were a lot like me. However, someone came creeping into my life and on day one, I never knew that she was going to change me forever.

Apparently, when Kelley first met me she thought I was weird. Luckily, I make great second impressions and she was willing to change her mind. Isn't that usually how it goes though? It always seems like the people I write off first are always the ones I end up

closest to. I feel like maybe there's a lesson there but I don't care to read too much into it. So anyways, we met through mutual friends, did not hit it off, rushed, joined the same sorority and the rest is history. Okay it's not quite that simple but that is a quick synopsis of our friendship.

Kelley is the first friend I've ever had the nerve to fight with. This is really saying something for someone who rarely is willing to yell and fight. Kelley and I have really had our share of doozies. My favorite is when we booked an airport hotel in Munich thinking it would be in a good location to catch an early flight, but realized that we actually booked it near the wrong airport. Who was to blame was unclear. And there wasn't a whole lot to be done about it besides booking a new flight. However, a good 15 minutes of yelling was necessary, probably just so that I could tell the story now. 

Kelley and I have been all over the world together. Ten countries, in fact. We have traveled over 10 hours on a plane together. Oh Lord, that was rough! Kelley was constantly screaming at me to sit still, stop talking, let her sleep. I followed Kelley around London from about 6 pm to about 6 am while she made me go to "all the best clubs". Then had to try to sober her up enough to get on the tube so we could go greet her family. Yeah good times. We traveled to Italy, just the two of us, walked through the streets of Venice and Rome, lived off pizza and wine, and slept behind the desk of a hotel.

Though I am not with her all the time like I used to be, when she used to sleep on my futon or I would sleep in her roommate's bed without her knowing (sorry Lauren!), I feel like when we get together, it is like nothing has ever changed. We talk nearly everyday, get together about once a month and vent about everything going on in our now-separate lives.

This weekend I am going to Birmingham to see Kelley and I'm sure we are going to have a rockin' time. We have big plans for karaoke, step sing, shopping and maybe, if I'm drunk enough, the Beiber Movie. I cannot wait!!!!!



Oh and it should be noted that I have consistently blogged three days in a row now. That's really impressive.

0 comments:

Post a Comment