Tuesday, March 29, 2011

March Madness

I love March. I love it because it starts to get warm, the days start to get longer, Spring Break comes not a moment to soon, and I can start to see the end of the semester off in the distance. But all of these things do not compare to March Madness!


My whole life I have always been a fan of basketball. I feel like it should go without saying being from Kentucky. However, my excitement about March Madness grew tenfold when I came to UK. There is nothing like going to a school where basketball is everything. We are famous for it. And we set the standard for college basketball across the nation. This is not debatable, we have the most wins of any other college basketball team in the country, not to mention, 7 national titles, 44 SEC championships, and we have been to the final four 14 times.

"When you see Kentucky's fans, you just wonder. You think how wonderful it would be to go to their school. You wish you could trade places for a day, just so you could experience that feeling." - UCLA player Kris Johnson

When we beat Ohio State on Friday, I was ecstatic!! They were the best team in the nation and it was a long shot. Then when we beat UNC on Sunday I honestly couldn't believe it, we were going to the Final Four for the first time in 13 years and I was here for it. Lexington was crazy this weekend! People burning their couches, mobs of people rioting down streets near campus, fire alarms being pulled at the library.

And this was just because we made it to the final four.

I don't know what next weekend holds for the Wildcats, but I hope with every cell in my body it promises a win. Every time I even think about it, I get a little choked up. Oh and I also feel like I could throw up out of nervousness. But we will just have to see what happens.

I am proud to be a Wildcat and a UK student. I love my team for better and for worse and I'm going to pray like hell that we have what it takes to be NCAA Champions!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment